Iftikhar Day, January 31, 2008
Endorsing the call of the Sindh High Court Bar Association and Karachi Bar Association to celebrate the Iftikhar Day on January 31, 2008, activists of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan and representatives of several civil society organizations gathered outside the Karachi Press Club, with the portraits of Chief Justice Iftikahr Chaudhry, and expressed solidarity with the lawyers’ movement for the freedom of justice in Pakistan. Participants chanted anti-government slogans and held banners and placards demanding restoration of deposed judges, the constitution and revival of human rights in Pakistan.
Later on a rally of hundreds of lawyers, led by Mr. Munir A. Malik, Mr. Rasheed A. Rizvi and Mr. Iqbal Haider, Secretary General of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, also joined the demonstrators at Karachi Press Club.
Addressing the gathering, Mr. Munir A. Malik and Mr. Rasheed Rizvi strongly demanded that:
· Mr. Iftikhar Chaudhry, Chief Justice of Supreme Court of Pakistan and other judges of Supreme Court and high courts should immediately be re-instated.
· Mr. Tariq Mehmood Advocate, Mr. Ali Ahmed Kurd and Mr. Aitazaz Ahsan must be released immediately
· Curb on print and electronic media should be lifted;
· Lawyers, political and human rights activists arrested all over the country must immediately be released unconditionally;
· Freedom of association and political activities should not be curbed